1 incapable of being avoided or prevented; "the inevitable result" [ant: evitable]
2 invariably occurring or appearing; "the inevitable changes of the seasons" n : an unavoidable event; "don't argue with the inevitable"
EtymologyFrom inevitabilis "unavoidable" ().
- comes from the Latin word vitare- to avoid
impossible to avoid or prevent
predictable, or always happening
- inevitable (unable to be avoided)
Inevitable derives from the Latin word vitare (to avoid) and the prefix in (meaning not or without). It refers to something that cannot be avoided.
- The Inevitable released "Squirrel Nut Zippers" in 1995.
- Da Inevitable was released by Koopsta Knicca.
- Inevitable is a song written by Shakira.
- Inevitable Alien Nation is the second album by Keoki.
- The Inevitable is an album by Cormega.
- The Inevitability of a Strange World was released in 2006 by Halifax.
- Mushroomhead released "Inevitable" in the album M3 in 1999.
- Anberlin released the song "Inevitable" in the album Cities in 2007
- xxxholic, Yuuko Ichihara : - "In This world there no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability."
- The Matrix, Agent Smith (hearing the coming subway): - "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."
- The Matrix Revolutions, Neo: - "You were right Smith. You're always right. It was inevitable."
- John F Kennedy: - "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
- Isaac Asimov: - "It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant."
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines T-500 : - "Judgement day is inevitable."
absolute, apodictic, appointed, binding, bound, certain, clear, clear and distinct, clear as day, compulsory, conclusive, decided, decisive, definite, destined, determinate, devoted, dictated, doomed, fatal, fated, fateful, foredoomed, foreordained, imperative, in store, in the cards, indefeasible, ineluctable, ineludible, inescapable, inevasible, inexorable, inflexible, involuntary, irresistible, irrevocable, mandatory, marked, necessary, obligatory, ordained, perfectly sure, positive, predestined, predetermined, relentless, required, resistless, settled, sure, sure as death, sure as fate, sure-enough, true, unambiguous, unavoidable, uncontrollable, undeflectable, unequivocal, unevadable, univocal, unmistakable, unpreventable, unstoppable, unyielding, written